Stress Analysis Engineer
Onyx Aerospace is seeking a Stress Analysis Engineer to provide support to work on site at customer location. This position will develop, integrate and document structural requirements to establish the system design. This position coordinates with other engineering groups to establish the product’s environment and loads development, guide product design and verifies structural integrity by using analytical methods, such as finite element models/simulations, hand calculations, design-sine and other analysis tools (NASTRAN, PATRAN, CREO-Simulate, Common Structures Workstation, and home-grown tools) throughout the product life-cycle. U.S. Citizenship required.
- Performs detailed structural analysis to determine structural integrity (margins of safety), using classical techniques and Boeing tools, to support drawing release, establishes maintenance/inspection programs and supports the Manufacturing Review Board process.
- Integrates component-level structural math models and performs integrated analysis, using finite element methods, to develop internal loads and stresses in order to verify structural integrity.
- Performs structural analysis and provides expertise to respond to customer inquiries, develops service bulletins, investigates failures and coordinate with regulatory agencies, to maintain continued airworthiness/mission capability.
- Guides structural design and configuration development. Performs trade studies to optimize structure and meet program requirements.
- Documents structural analyses and data, required to show compliance with Boeing, customer and regulatory requirements, at a component level.
- Develops, deploys and supports in-house and commercial application software to enable efficient performance of engineering tasks to reduce cycle time and drive product improvements.
- Researches and prepares data to support definition of structural design requirements.
- Researches new technology applications, new product designs and structural life enhancement concepts, to improve products at the program level.
- Develops test plans, conducts pre-test analysis, monitors tests, analyzes and correlates test data, and documents results, to develop and certify structural concepts, investigates failures and develops material allowable.
- Supports Integration and Test by assessing out of spec conditions and providing recommendations in a timely manner
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- Experience performing stress analysis using manual hand calculations.
- Experience working with analysis tools, such as Nastran/Patran.
- Experience with structural repair methods.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills and Experience):
- Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Applied Mechanics, Structural, and Civil are preferred.
- Experience with Space based systems.
- Experience effectively communicating and collaborating on multi-discipline teams Experience with design and analysis of high modulus composites is desired.
- Experience leading structural and mechanical tests of vehicles and/or subsystems
- Experience managing/leading engineering projects.
- Experience mentoring junior engineers.
Typical Education and Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years’ related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience.
Location: Huntsville, AL
Onyx Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.