The Designer/Drafter will work with engineering department to provide CAD expertise for Process Engineering Change Requests (ECR) including describing changes and providing corresponding technical justification; checking completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness, conformity to standards, procedures, specifications; and accuracy of calculations and dimensioning and notes necessary to present design proposals.
Create new designs utilizing parametric solid modeling software or applications to develop basic data, assemblies and detailed parts of devices, mechanisms, and structures Design basic fixtures or products, incorporating ease of manufacturing, safety, performance, and reliability; and selecting equipment and materials. Identify design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, including redline reviews May assist in implementing new processes and methods in collaboration with Engineering Assist in creating presentations for internal and external functions to secure consensus on the design viability and functionality.
- The production of high-quality engineering drawings according to ASME GD&T standards.
- Create production of drawing, CAD and PLM guidelines, standards and checklists to ensure a high quality of output from the engineering team.
- Create and export model for customers.
- Manage the PDM/PLM system, ensuring that CAD data is stored and managed in an orderly manner and that the users are employing best practice in using the PLM system.
- Design capacity – creating 3D models from a set of requirements and where requirements are incomplete, able to fill in the blanks, taking into consideration the parts operating environment, function, and manufacturability.
- Identify design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, including redline.
- Creation of bills of materials from reference bills or from drawings
- Review and completion of feature requests from product management team
- Deliver geometry suitable for creating Finite Element Models
- Incorporate drafting standards and standard drawing notes based on company, program, and industry standards for related drawings
*We encourage you to apply if you feel like you’re a good fit even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed below*
- At least 2 years of experience.
- 2+ years of practical design/drafting experience (SOLIDWORKS or CATIA, 2D drafting, 3D modeling, and assemblies).
- 2+ years of practical PDM experience (SOLIDWORKS PDM), familiarity with configuration control, revision, and records release
- Proficiency in GD&T per ASME-Y14.5
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong team player, driven to achieve common goals.
- Proficiency with SOLIDWORKS and SOLIDWORKS PDM
- Experience with aerospace designs, complex machined components, tolerance stacks, large assembly management
- Knowledge of fabrication methods and production processes
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering-related discipline or equivalent designer/draftsman degree with industry experience
- Experience with surfacing utilizing modern design tools
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes: additive engineering, injection molding, CNC, and sheet metal
Onyx Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.